First on street e-bike hire from Co-wheels launches August 2014.
The project is part of the Highland Council’s Carbon Clever campaign and has been delivered thanks to support from SSE power.
The Carbon Clever Cycle project will see 6 ebikes in 2 locations across the city with one cluster at Falcon Square, close to the rail & bus stations and the Eastgate Shopping Centre. A second cluster will be located outside the Council Headquarters on Glenurquhart Road.
Our e-bikes are the very latest Giant Prime e+ with unisex frames and adjustable seat height providing comfortable cycling for all. They have state of the art Yamaha power assisted motors giving a range of 30 miles with speeds of 15 mph available with effortless peddling allowing you to glide uphill or against the wind without any strain.
Our bikes are equipped with cycle computers displaying speed and distance as well battery condition enabling you to monitor the bikes performance as you travel. Each bike is equipped with Panniers containing an extra charging unit allowing you to stop at a suitable location and top up your charge from a 13 amp supply.
How it Works
Our e-bikes are housed in individual lockers that have key safes attached to them.
- Once you have joined Co-wheels e-bikes you can book a bike on our website using your membership details.
- A pin code for the key safe will be sent by text to your phone shortly before the hire is due to start.
- Use the code to access the lockers key for unlocking the individual e-bike hire station and a signal will be sent to us indicating your hire is activate.
- Inside the e-bike Hire Station you will find instructions for checking the bike before you use it, together with a Hi Viz vest and helmet if you need it (you may prefer to bring your own).
- When you return the bike use your code to unlock the key safe again and return the bike ensuring you plug the battery in for recharging. Lock up the Hire Station and return the key to the key safe which will end your hire.
Membership is free, just pay for usage: